TTG Asia
Asia/Singapore Tuesday, 19th May 2026
Page 1591

Muslim market figures heavily in Japan’s arrivals goal

0

As Japan looks set to break the record of 24 million arrivals received last year, suppliers and travel agents are working hand-in-hand to grow the sizeable segment of Muslim travellers by catering to their dietary requirements and other needs.

Tamrerk Nasomyont, spokesperson for The Originator of Teppanyaki Steak Misono, is one such supplier. Nasomyont commented that there has been a noticeable increase in Muslim customers to the chain’s stores, so much so that the brand went to obtain the Halal certificate from the Islamic Center of Japan. Currently, the Halal menu is available only at the chain’s main branch in Kobe.

Gassan Pole Pole’s Noboru Okuyama and X-Trekkers Adventure Consultant’s Khamisah Bte Salamat

Similarly for Noboru Okuyama, owner of Gassan Pole Pole farm (a mountain lodge in Yamagata), Muslim groups have been on the rise since he started welcoming them three years ago. He works closely with Khamisah Bte Salamat, X-Trekkers Adventure Consultant’s product planner and Japan specialist. Together they’ve made his lodge a Muslim-friendly place.

Okuyama said: “In the first year, there were five groups of around 10 pax. It’s been three years, and this year I have welcomed 20 groups of about 100 pax.”

Okuyama has changed the plates and cooking utensils at his lodge, as well as ensures all the meat he obtains is Halal. Recently, he also helped to convert a rest stop into a prayer room.

Khamisah is optimistic that business will continue to grow as the Muslim segment is a niche one. Aside from leading groups – she has brought four groups of 15 pax to Japan so far this year – other Muslim agents also buy their Japan itinerary from her.

While Khamisah only joined X-Trekkers in February 2017, she has been in the travel trade for 29 years, and has specialised in Japan for over 20.

She said: “Most of my guests are from Singapore and Malaysia. We’ve also given information (about the lodge) to the Indonesian market, but the Indonesian market is still very new to Japan and want to go the Golden Route instead.”

When asked how many groups she’s targeting to bring to Japan in the next few years, she confidently said: “At least 100 by 2020.”

Meanwhile, for Kazunari Kurosawa, Miyako International Tourist Company’s director of international sales, Malaysians make up 70 per cent of customers, while the remaining 30 per cent is split evenly between Indonesia, Singapore and the Middle East.

The 40-year-old company is one of the few travel agents in Japan offering inbound Halal tourism, and claims that it was the first to offer Halal tours in the country.

Kurosawa elaborated: “We started Muslim tours five years ago. In the first year we had about 10 groups, but this year we have about 50 groups. We work with travel agents from Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore, for FITs and small tour groups of five to six people.”

When asked where most of the Muslim customers head to, Kurosawa shared: “Everyone wants to go to Tokyo, then to Osaka by train, and around Osaka such as Kyoto and Nara – all these places are Halal-friendly. Outside of the Golden Route, Hokkaido is also popular.”

Bali still safe, pleas governor, as cancellations are recorded

0
At least 445 flights cancelled due to airport closure

Concerns over the rumblings of Mount Agung have result in an estimated 20 to 30 per cent of cancellations in bookings this month, says Indonesia’s minister of tourism Arief Yahya.

However, Bali’s governor Made Mangku Pastika stressed that Bali remained safe for travellers, and appealed to countries not to place a travel warning on the island.

The minister said it was difficult to identify the precise number of cancellations of individual travel programmes to Bali due to a lack of concrete data, hence he extrapolated his own assessment based on the average arrivals and average length of stay.

Arief: approximately 20-30 per cent cancellation rate

Arief shared that on average, international daily arrivals to Bali stood at 15,000, with an overall average length of stay of four days.

The minister was speaking to the media in Bali following his visit to the island. He earlier issued a media statement stating that airlines, hotels and attractions in Bali were not affected by cancellations that were related to the raised alert levels for Mount Agung.

In the meantime, the Bali government has developed contingency plans should the Mount Agung situation worsen and the Bali airport is required to close.

Last week, Bali’s governor Made Mangku Pastika informed the consulates operating in Bali that the government would provide assistance to stranded travellers, such as helping them depart through neighbouring airports in Surabaya or Lombok.

“Should Ngurah Rai International Airport be closed due to Mount Agung’s eruption, we will help arrange their visas, accommodations and provide the transport (from Bali to the nearest airport). We will take care of them the best we can,” assured Made.

Singapore’s Temasek leads US$111m funding in Secret Escapes

0

London’s Secret Escapes has closed US$111 million in a series D funding round led by Singapore’s Temasek along with existing investor Idinvest Partners, according to media reports.

With the additional funding, the luxury travel flash sale marketplace has now raised almost US$153 million in capital since inception in 2010, reported a Venture Beat article.

The company aims to use newly secured capital to continue accelerating growth through acquisitions, chief executive Alex Saint was quoted as saying.

The article listed recent acquisitions counting Germany’s JustBook in 2014, the UK’s MyCityVenue the same year and the Czech Republic’s Slevomat this year.

Secret Escapes currently operates in 21 areas in Europe, Asia and the US with 47 million members worldwide.

ONYX says yoohoo to YOO partnership

0
A rendering of an upcoming YOO Collection property in Asia

ONYX Hospitality Group Thailand has entered an agreement with UK-based YOO Hotels & Resorts to manage and further develop the two brands, YOO Collection and Yoo2 hotels, across Asia-Pacific.

A rendering of an upcoming YOO Collection property in Asia

YOO Collection offers “luxury hotels which blend creative input by some of the world’s renowned designers with locations and personalised service”; while the Yoo2 brand offers “upscale lifestyle hotels with interpretations of local influences, location and living space”, according to YOO and ONYX.

The first YOO Asia hotels to be developed will be in Phuket and Bali, both scheduled to open in 2019.

Event: WIT Singapore to spotlight Better Travel

0
This will be the 13th WIT conference

This year’s WIT Singapore conference will feature over 100 speakers tasked to cultivate ideas and ponder new ways to improve the travel experience.

Some 500 delegates are expected to attend the conference running from October 24 – 25, 2017 at the Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Singapore.

This will be the 13th WIT conference

In its 13th year, speakers will include Jane Jie Sun, CEO of Ctrip.com; Choe Peng Sum, CEO of Frasers Hospitality Group; Rob Greyber, president of Egencia; Mike Szücs, chief executive adviser, Cebu Pacific Air; Shinichi Inoue, representative director & CEO Peach Aviation; Sean Treacy, managing director, Asia Pacific, Royal Caribbean Cruises; Thatcher Brown, president of Dream Cruises; Henry Hendrawan; group CFO, Traveloka; Oliver Heckmann, vice president, engineering – travel & shopping, Google.

Twelve semi-finalists will also compete for a place in the Startup Pitch grand finals happening on the last day of the WIT conference as part of the concurrent WIT Bootcamp. The winner will receive seed funding of up to US$30,000 and a spot in the Travelport Accelerator Lab programme in Denver.

Sleep in the company of manatees

0
Photo credit: Wildlife Reserves Singapore

Wildlife Reserves Singapore is rolling out weekend camp programmes at a trio of its parks.

The River Safari camp (November 25-26) will allow participants to sleep in the company of manatees to end off a full day of wildlife discovery including close animal encounters, guided tours and more. The camp costs S$214 (US$158) per adults and S$181.90 per child age five to 12.

Photo credit: Wildlife Reserves Singapore

Guests may also choose the Singapore Zoo programme (December 2-3) where they get to cosy with family by a bonfire while being surrounded by wildlife. This camp is priced at S$181.90 (adult) and S$155.15 (child).

At the Night Safari, Sleep with the Night Critters campers get to dine in a tipi tent, traverse the safari in their own private buggy and participate in feeding sessions. This camp runs from December 9-10, costing S$300 (adult) and S$255 (child).

AccorHotels appoints two new GMs for Singapore properties

0
Burrows (left) and Hanna

AccorHotels Asia Pacific has appointed two general managers, Marcus Hanna and Alan Burrows, for the Raffles City (RC) Hotel complex and Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay respectively.

Hanna will report to Tom Meyer, vice president operations luxe hotels Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore, who remains at Raffles City Hotels as managing director.

Burrows (left) and Hanna

Hanna moves over to the RC Hotel complex – comprising Fairmont Singapore, Swissôtel The Stamford Singapore and Raffles City Convention Centre – from Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, where he has been the general manager since 2015.

Hanna has been with AccorHotels for 13 years and has held various management positions, initially at Sofitel Melbourne, then as the opening general manager of Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park, followed by general manager assignments at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach and Sofitel Brisbane Central.

Meanwhile, Burrows will replace Hanna as general manager of Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay.

Prior to this posting, he was the general manager of Sofitel Fiji Resort and Spa.

Burrows has been with AccorHotels since 1996 and, over the years, has managed various hotels across the Novotel and Mecure brands in Sydney, Canberra and Perth.

Dual roles in Wyndham for Scott Walton

0

Wyndham Hotel Group South East Asia and Pacific Rim has appointed Scott Walton to the dual role of area general manager, Thailand and general manager of Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket.

Based in Phuket, he will be responsible for Wyndham’s portfolio of mixed-use hotels in the country including Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay.

Prior to this, Walton was both the area general manager, Fiji and New Zealand, as well as general manager of the Wyndham Denarau Resort, Fiji.

He has a 17-year track record in the hospitality industry, having held positions in a similar capacity with brands such as Radisson Blu, The Regent, Langham Hotels & Resorts and Sheraton in destinations such as New Zealand, Fiji, China and Thailand.

Golden Week ushers hope of mainland rebound for Hong Kong

0
Chinese groups returning to Hong Kong

Hong Kong saw the comeback of mainland Chinese group arrivals during the Golden Week holiday this year – the 20th anniversary of Hong Kong’s handover to China – with industry players pointing to contributing factors such as fading perceptions of hostility and traffic diversion from South Korea.

Travel Industry Council (TIC) executive director Joseph Tung, said: “In 2016, (there were) only 120 groups per day due to the impact of harassment on mainland tourists over last two years. This year, it’s around 200-220 groups each day.

Chinese groups returning to Hong Kong

“The recent political conflict between South Korean and China may have driven some Chinese traffic to Hong Kong, but (also) our hotel rate has been lowered and become more affordable versus expensive room rate in Macau.”

The 20th anniversary of the city’s handover from Britain to China also had an effect, according to Sincere International Travel Services managing director, Charles Ng.

Ng said: “A series of celebrations and activities were organised and drew visitations. Moreover, the negative impression (that arose from) mainland visitors being harassed and besieged by radical locals eventually faded away after two years.”

He cited Hong Kong’s “stable business environment” for his optimism that the city would continue to grow in popularity among Chinese group and FIT travellers this year.

Agreeing, TIC’s Mainland China Inbound Tour Affairs Committee chairman, Paul Leung, said: “For years, Hong Kong has been an attractive destination for Chinese travellers. If China opens up more (source markets) to visit Hong Kong in future, the traffic will keep coming.

“In the long run, group travel will remain stable without big surges, but FITs will grow significantly.”

Based on statistics from Hong Kong’s Immigration Department, total Chinese arrivals between September 30 and Octobert 8 jumped 13 per cent to 1.5 million.

Bangkok-Vienna route potential boon for SEA inbound

0
THAI's Usanee Sangsingkeo with consul general of the Australian Embassy in Thailand, Gerhard Gotz

South-east Asia will regain a nonstop connection to Vienna when Thai Airways (THAI) reinstates its Bangkok-Vienna service on November 16.

THAI suspended the service in 1993 due to poor loads, but the airline now sees potential demand for the route, a source from THAI told TTG Asia.

THAI’s Usanee Sangsingkeo with consul general of the Australian Embassy in Thailand, Gerhard Gotz

It offers four flights weekly using its Boeing 777-300ER aircraft which has 42 seats in Royal Silk Class and 306 seats in economy class.

Destination Asia Thailand’s deputy managing director, Wanchai Thavorthaveekul, said: “The flights will also attract East Europeans from Czech Republic, Hungary, Bulgaria and Baltic countries to visit Thailand. These are emerging markets for Thailand.”

Meanwhile in Malaysia, Arokia Das, senior manager at Luxury Tours Malaysia, said: “The direct flights make it very easy for Austrians and Eastern Europeans to visit and experience (not just Bangkok but also) the region. We will work with our associates in Thailand who will introduce our itineraries to their clients who wish to extend their stay to Malaysia.”