As part of the Himalayan Explorer package, which includes stays at both Como Uma Paro and Como Uma Punakha, guests can now also enjoy a half-day Bhutanese cooking class, using techniques and ingredients native to the Himalayan country.
Guests will be taught to make authentic Bhutanese dishes such as ema datshi, a fermented yak cheese and chilli dish; dau, a yak milk yogurt; Bhutanese buckwheat noodles; and momo dumplings filled with minced yak meat, which are dipped in etsay, a very hot chilli sauce universally loved by all Bhutanese people.
Participants will also be guided through making tshome – a wooden pounding utensil, similar to a pestle and mortar, found in every Bhutanese homestead.
The cooking class will take place in the valley of Punakha, where local fresh and organic vegetables are available to use, sourced from nearby farms. Guests will be met by Como Uma Punakha’s chef for a guided walk around the lodge’s organic vegetable garden, before learning to prepare a full meal in the al fresco open kitchen. After the class, the meal can be enjoyed on the terrace overlooking the Mo Chhu river.
The class will be offered as part of the six- or seven-night Himalayan Explorer package, which also includes the following:
• Accommodation at Como Uma Paro and Como Uma Punakha on a full board basis, including picnic lunches during excursion days (excluding beverages)
• Privately guided excursions, taking in the highlights of the Paro, Thimphu and Punakha valleys
• Services of an English-speaking Bhutanese guide
• One 60-minute Como Shambhala body treatment
• Complimentary use of the library, swimming pool, steam room and gym at Como Uma Paro
• Private airport transfers and transport around Bhutan
• All Bhutanese government visa and royalty fees, service charge and sales tax
• All museum and visitor centre entry fees and road permits
• Complimentary one-hour daily yoga class whilst at Como Uma Paro (except Sundays)
• Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout Como Uma Paro and Como Uma Punakha
The six-night Himalayan Explorer starts at US$6,617 and the seven-night Himalayan Explorer starts at US$7,746 for two people.